Monday, March 14, 2011

Delayed Reaction

It has come to my attention that the blog is in need of a feminine perspective.  Kim and I have been neglectful in contributing so I imagine readers are expecting more profound observations to be shared when we post….I will try to do it justice.


We are en route to the beach, however swimming may not be a part of our itinerary in light of the tsunami warnings that are recommending no one ventures into the Pacific coast, particularly ghostly-white, North-American tourists who are wanna-be surfers.   
 What we are hoping to master is our wildlife knowledge passing through Tarcoles “Crocodile bridge” and hitting the ocean for some adventure swimming.
 Yesterday was a productive day for me and I had the opportunity to share my time with different people throughout the day, all fabulous in their own way.  It started off with a quick Spanglish convo with my host’s mother who wanted to show me the news coverage for the earthquake that hit Japan and the tsunami impact. One thing about traveling is you live in the moment but with an unintentional lack awareness of everything that’s going on around you since all communication is in a foreign language and you hardly have time to hit the washroom in between activities (Kim always finds a way though).
Japanese flag hanging at half-mast at their embassy.
I was picked up by Melania who was a former GSE participant to Argentina in 2010.  She impresses me with her knowledge, passion and genuine nature.  She takes me out for breakfast and we order a typical breakfast with a new coffee contraption! The brew is fresh to say the least.
We immersed ourselves in conversation over cultural differences, domestic violence, psychology of people (her background) and GSE programming…we are interrupted by a phone call from Manuel who is making arrangements to pick me up from her workplace in 45 minutes!!!! Oops! We lost track of time enjoying each others' company and race to her work to have a quick tour. She tells me the English class is waiting for me…what?
Classroom where I met the employee class.
I arrive to the office and I am quickly whisked into the English class and introduced, followed by friendly inquiries about me, my family, my work, Canada, my travel and promises to return to Costa Rica.  The company ingeniously offers English classes to all interested staff twice weekly since the staff comes from all corners of the world and their common working language is English.  It was a warm environment that not only benefited from the language learning but the team-building aspect of accomplishing it together.
Education, Technology and Development Foundation
Melanie takes me on a quick tour and explains the significance of the organization in Latin America.  They are the leading example in technology research and investing in education within Costa Rica.  They have projects all over the country and staff members are passionate about their role in providing access to technology for students.
Manuel - the hidden gem of Costa Rica.
Manuel picks me up and we he graciously offers to take me to the UPEACE campus so I can feel confident that it has been passed into the hands of the staff for fate to take it from there. I am intrigued with our conversation all around the city, as Mark mentioned, Manuel is a little jewel of knowledge and experiences.  We pick up Curt from his host’s house, Kim from her vocational visit, and head to Las Antijitos for lunch. From there we travel to Pavas with Rotarian members …… who do a lot of work in this impoverished neighbourhood that is challenged by poverty, drugs and gang violence.
Courtyard at activity centre for children.
Kim is especially moved by the wonderful services they support for Adult Day Care.  We are welcomed by a clap-happy audience who is so excited about our visit.  As we work the room greeting everyone, Mark with his blonde hair and blue eyes attracts one lady who not-so-modestly asks for a kiss on the cheek.  Mark, the kind man he is, fulfills her wish and she is literally beaming with pleasure, clasping her cheek to treasure every piece of DNA left.

I think Curt filled in the rest of the day, so I will refrain from overlap...until next time.

AR

3 comments:

  1. Hurray for Alicia! Glad to hear YOUR recent perspectives. All Curt and Mark and no female insight makes .....no, NOT a dull day, but a less informative blog!
    Thoroughly enjoying your travels from the comfort of my armchair/workchair - thank you for sharing. Pam (=Curt's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent update Alice!! Is Omar Dengo Foundation looking for anyone to help teach English?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good input Alicia, hope you write more often - were the crocs friendly or nasty? Roz & I are off to Hong Kong in a few days time where we'll continue reading the blog. Please say hi to all.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete