Thursday, March 3, 2011

Panamania!

Buenos noches! I know we have an international audience that can critique not only our poor Spanish but also our English! So please be kind to us traveling Canadians...our only teacher on the trip has yet to find an opportunity to blog and edit for us...we all do our part on this team (some only in theory...oh I tease).

So far, Doug has agreed to finance a business initiative of Kim and I´s and we are actively seeking out any other business partners who are interested.  Mark is going to move all our big stuff and design our buildings.  Curt was on a vocational exchange while we had this brainstorming session over some peanuts, martinis, beer and wine.  Luckily, some people are brave enough to question our apparent drinking problem and hopefully will be able to dispel any potential rumours of Canadians being alcoholics.  As Kim explained it, the first few weeks of warm weather inspire thoughts of summer which usually is accompanied by some key beverages.  However, we are actually experiencing lots of learning and not on vacation!

First night en route to our presentation along the boardwalk of Panama City.

Ok some interesting facts and observations:
-educators, check your geographical history books and make sure that you include how Panama has influenced the climate and biodiversity of the world given it´s location;
-law enforcement, here stop signs are actually Stoptional and you can actually do this without paying a hefty fine! In fact, there really aren´t many rules it seems and is more like an act of survival on the roads - Juan, I hate to tell you but Doug´s blood pressure was rising by the minute as you passionately explained the history of the country while reversing into rush hour traffic the wrong way;
-climate, Panamanians think that Costa Rica is cold;
-the proud maple leaf, I made a Rotarian´s day today, who has been a member for over 50 years by trading our Canadian district pin with him...sadly I must say, I tried to offer the Englehart pin instead (when I first thought we didn´t have any to share) and his face actually sunk in disappointment that he would not have the maple leaf! Doug saved the day though....
-marriage, apparently not being married means you are single, so at the club today Curt and I had the honour of being auctioned off to the crowd...however we were wearing the clueless nodding smiles while people laughed at our expense until it was translated for us - I suppose the most embarrassing part was no one lined up afterwords with any offers!
-cats, moose (my cat) does not receive grand reviews since cats really aren´t treasured pets here...they might actually think I am crazy, but I suppose that´s not far off from our stereotype of cat ladies...however, dogs are a big hit, especially large dogs like Mark´s;

Some unique experiences:
IAVE with Elvis and Juan Carlos, both volunteers of the organization.
-vocational visits: IAVE (volunteer membership that acts as a platform for coordination of volunteering worldwide, supported in Canada through Volunteer Canada; FANLYC, centre for children who have cancer or leukemia as a support for families while children receive treatment; Nutre Hogar, a nutritional centre for chilren ages 0-5 who suffer from severe malnutrition and developmental challenges as a result; and many contacts for organizations to maintain contact with;
FANLYC with a volunteer (translator too), Volunteer Coordinator and Rotarian Vielka.

One of the children receiving treatment at the centre.

Nutre Hogar with Executive Director Vanessa and Team Lider Doooug Moooody.

Alejandro, resident at the centre.
 -funerals, a part from it being absolutely apparent that I did not belong in the church due to my pale colour and tourist-like gazes, I had the opportunity of attending a funeral;
-clothing, since we arrived with no luggage for the first night, I got to wear Panamanian panties (ok no, there aren´t really any different but imagine greeting your host and having to ask for underwear!)
-time, the polls are not conclusive, but it seems that being fashionably late is not only accepted but is the norm here....so yes family and friends, I do need to move to Latin America to get the acceptance I deserve;
-baseball, I have only seen one diamond so far but I can see why it´s a popular sport here...I could even be a homerun hitter with the length of the field (Panamanians, please, let me have my moment and don´t correct me on this)!
Local baseball diamond in La Pita, my host's town.
 -names, I no longer go by Alicia, it is now Alice. In fact, I was even told to ask my parents - why Alicia and not just Alice? Doug, also has an interesting pronouciation of his name...like a Doo-ug Moooody...I will have to get a clip of Curt saying it to really get the effect of it, but he now is refered to like this and always including his last name;
-Andy, he is my host and really has become a team member accompanying me to everything given the driving distance between his house in the countryside and the city. I think actually that my team would like to replace me with him! He really deserves MVP thus far and is hosting a quick sendoff for us tomorrow morning before we head for the Carnival - Joan, really Doug and Andy are one in the same and a dangerous pair together when trying to accomplish any serious task;
Andres, my host riding.  I was on Zafran.

My home temporarily.

Pool side.

The crew on our send-off, Rosaline (Andy's wife is the photographer).

Some personal updates for people who know me well:
-I have yet to lose anything of any great value;
-I have been told that I am polite and tidy, yes TIDY in my room!
-I have not wandered off or spoken to too many strangers, however, I did get to dress up in an officers uniform partially while I waited for the group to arrive at the Canal;

-I have managed to be on time for everything (even early), including morning breakfast!

Last but not least, I miss you all but this will absolutely be a life-changing experience and I have met fabulous people so far who have a sense of humour, humility and generousity. I am excited to see what tomorrow brings! Ciao for now! AR

3 comments:

  1. enjoy every minute of this trip - Englehart is very proud of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Nice to hear that this is such a great cultural and educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roz & I were very happy with our Canadian "daughter" - Alicia's 5-day stay at Villa Guillén was a happy event for us & time just flew by - we miss her!

    ReplyDelete