Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mar 2 Perspective

Alarm goes. Mouth dry. First movements are slow to test for depth and severity of hangover. I congratulate myself on decisions to drink rum straight (mix = sugar = trouble) and for the two waters before bed. I am symptom free, save for some exhaustion.

We are heading to the Panama Canal this morning. We get a guided tour (not available to general public) of the construction of the new canal, which makes you truly appreciate anyone who can get involved with projects of large magnitude and lengthy timelines.

We weave back through the city to the other side of the canal to tour the existing locks, which includes a private tour of the middle of the locks (also off limits to gp). The sun is beating down on us, and I'm wearing pants and a blazer. Something isn't right. Water is fuel as we wait for a lunch-break that might never come. Kim and I sneak some Doritos from the snack bar...I think my appetite is coming back.

Lunch finally arrives, and we're back to the patio with the amazing view. Fried squid for me (it's tough like overcooked scallops), while Mark and Dougmoody go for the deep fried fish (whole fish!).  I have an insatiable thirst still, maybe Panamanian water cannot quench it?

Biomuseum. Frank Ghery. Canadian. Architect. Amazing.
This may prove to be the highlight of the trip years from now.
scale model
construction site...exterior getting close

We present to Victor's club (my host), and then we head home for a quiet night in. We chat about education, small business, the role of work in life, farming, ecotourism....and suddenly it's past Ireallyneedeighthoursofsleep o'clock, and so I start blogging again.

Tomorrow will be long (I have another night placement), and it's our last full day in Panama City!



NOTE - Maybe someone else will post a blog soon...my team has really been letting me down (sorry, sarcasm again...)

2 comments:

  1. My artist heart is happy about your Ghery plug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys are representing Canadians in true form and having an excellent time. The engineering projects (and the food) look really interesting. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete