Thursday, March 24, 2011

March 23 Perspective

Best breakfast yet. These are the best Huevos Rancheros I have had in Central America. Fresh squeezed pineapple juice, great coffee, and a piece of pecan pie complete the meal. I am a happy man to start the day.

The breakfast pours colour back into Kim's face, and light into her eyes. WELCOME BACK SOLDIER! We're off to tour a coffee mill: J Hill y CIA. It's beautiful, from storage barns, to the drying lots, to the sorting room, to the greenhouses. We snap pictures, and listen intently on all the steps required to make a pot or cup of coffee.
 
 




It's very impressive, and they have even converted their office computers to run off a bank of solar panels and batteries. Interesting for me, as my girlfriend Laura and I live the same way in Canada (thanks for introducing me to a no-bills lifestyle LT).
 


There is also the most amazing tree I've ever seen in my life on the property. It is a cotton tree, and is over 250 years old. I want to see this tree again before I die.
Two espressos, and we're off to Liliana's house for supplies, restrooms, and to see her two little dogs.
We head into the mountains, stopping in a small town near the peak to tour around. There's a cute artisan shop that makes their own clothing, unfortunately the loom staff are on lunch, so we don't see any action.
After getting a few gifts for those of you at home, we sampled some new fruits (to us) in the market, and then headed for lunch. A few minutes out of town we dined at a restaurant situated on a coffee plantation. It had cabins for rent, as well as numerous facilities for wedding receptions and even it's own chapel for ceremonies. The experience was top notch, from the chunky menus with tin fronts, to the amazing meal...tortilla soup, crostini w funghi, spinach lasagna w salad...
 
 
 
 
We head back down the mountain, stopping a few times at lookouts to enjoy the view, and snap some photos. Kim and I pass out in the back of the van, listening to a great mix of Be Good Tanyas, Joe Purdy, and Wailin' Jennys. 
After a quick blog and clean-up at home, we're headed to a big supper. A father/son team (Roberto Jr&Sr) host nearly 60 Rotarians/Rotaracts for dinner of typical foods. It's a social night, and they're happy to have us. We say a few thank-you's, and the guitar is out again...they want Pat Benetar (weird request), but they settle for a few others. I think they genuinely enjoy the music, or they fake well enough that I feel good about playing for them. 
 
The night winds down in good time, and we're in bed by 11. I'm blogging away, and Doug is sleeping. Tonight he is holding nothing back with his snoring. I close my eyes and try to figure out how to describe the sound...a baby chainsaw crossed with a congested man who swallowed his tongue...maybe?!?! 

I guess my iPod will sing me to sleep tonight...

CGD

1 comment:

  1. Gifts you say??
    Great pictures. Looks like a fun night in that video. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete