Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tranquilo

We are catching ourselves this morning from saying that we are on vacation today....wake up to breakfast, check our emails, hop on some bikes and coast to the neighborhood primary school.

We immerse ourselves in the shy, smiling faces and try to bond with our limited knowledge of Spanish which mainly consists of Ola, mi nombre es Alicia...como esta? and then you default to the point and stare...with kids it usually works.  We parade around the room learning the Spanish names for mammals and numbers. The boys attract attention with their cameras.



I can't help but notice that there is a sweet crying child to my left who accepts my offer for a hug.  The teacher rectifies the issue as I comfort the girl.  My maternal instincts kick in, as I facilitate her beautiful smiling face.
 


We race back to hotel Suyapa and brace ourselves for the waves.  Curt, Mark and I run in, they coax me out farther so I don't get pushed to the shore with every cruel punch the ocean throws.  I accept the challenge and move out to catch the waves.  One big wave comes thrashing in and literally brings me tumbling to the shore, feet in the air.  I roll onto my feet acknowledging my defeat with sand all over my face, hair going in every direction and pockets full.  The burn of the sand rash is stinging my shoulder...hmm I guess that's why surfers dress a little more appropriately.

We retire to the tables and order a beverage.  I seek out a hammock for some reflection time.  I am thankful for having some down time in this excessive heat..  We eat lunch - delicious chicken salad and steak dishes.  Kim orders fish but gets the WHOLE fish, head in all and can't manage to eat it given the choice.  The pace is relaxed but quickens in spurts.

Our afternoon begins with a tour of Roberto's farm. Kim, Doug and Roberto hop on horses and ride around the property.  He shows us his animals including goats, cattle, horses, chickens, and so forth and tell us of his eco-tourism plans.

Curt's excitement level increases as he sees Laura's vocation in practice.
 Our tour takes us to Leon next where we spend a few hours walking the city and taking in the scenes of markets, churches, local foods and of course a cafe.


Mark...saw a 2 year old doing the same pose...enough said.
Curt and his door fetish, who took an hour worth of door photos....just doors.
We enjoy a dinner out nearby the city square as the sun retires for the day. We finish off the night with some snacks, laughs and cards.

Until next time....AR

1 comment:

  1. You took the punches & did it your way! Great reporting Alicia - creating this blog was a superb idea (congrats to all the Team). Its better than any official travel ad I've seen & has brought us closer to our neighbours (imagine, I have never been to Nicaragua or El Salvador!) Hi to all, Andy

    ReplyDelete