Friday, March 11, 2011

March 9 Perspective

I'm missing my family today. My brother Jord and his wife Brittany are joining my girlfriend, Laura, today in Panorama for a ski holiday. I suffer from FOMO, so it's hard for me (fear of missing out). Our ride to the Poas volcano passed many farms, large and small, with very cute houses and out-buildings. Mom would love this, and so would Laura.
Arriving to the park, there is an ambulance in the parking lot. I think of my brother, Hugh, as he is a paramedic. I wish they were here to share this with me. I wish I was in Panorama drinking coffee and cooking all day (I try not to ski, and prefer to cook, read, and play guitar in my downtime).

Sulfur fills our noses as we enjoy a 3 km walk around the park, taking in the volcano and nearby lake.
We have a very quick lunch at a property owned by Lidia's family. (They also live next door to the apartment I'm staying at, and have been feeding me breakfast, and ensuring we have a meeting place in the morning.) She is very hospitable, and the place is excuisite. Part hobby farm, part family vacation home, part mini resort/retreat. Some of us swim, we kick around a soccer ball, and then we eat quickly to get to the children's hospital.

The traffic is terrible, and it's evident we'll be late again. We hear from the embassy, and they can take us for a quick meeting just before they close. The girls are sad to have missed the hospital, but they hope vocational time on Friday and maybe Saturday will allow for a visit. The embassy does not allow camera's, but they do have some great information on the countries in the area. I feel like I'm the only one asking questions, but it is very fascinating to me. Trade agreements, major portfolios of each country, world demands, barriers of trade, etc... Smart people work here.

We spend the balance of the afternoon at Lucia Uribe's house (she and her husband are both Rotarians), listening to some great success stories dealing with education. Rotary is involved in many, but there is a strong presence from the church, and volunteers as well. kim and Alicia will get a chance to visit a school and retirement activity centre in a poor neighbourhood on Friday. The school specializes in trades, and ensuring kids will find a job when they complete their studies.

Our night Rotary meeting is warm and inviting, and it is evident that they are a very close-knit group. I am inspired to play some songs before dinner, and we are actually bombarded with questions at the conclusion of our presentation. A great experience, and an exhausting day.
Today was the first day that we got some exercise, and ate healthy (no deep fried food). We all agree that we're feeling refreshed.

My roomates are waiting for me, and we sit around the kitchen table with a rum discussing the differences in dating, marriage, family, and child rearing. Maybe I'll return to play music at someone's wedding? This song is suggested.

CGD

1 comment:

  1. If you think your suffering from FOMO, think of how we're feeling here. The only thing your missing out on is roll up the rim.

    ReplyDelete