Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 3 Perspective


Fate: an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future
Central American Fate: Arriving to a guided tour of the presidential palace, only to find that the guide speaks only Spanish. The only other guest, Ibis,  for the tour happens to speak very good English, and is able to translate.
Rotary Fate: After a brief discussion with Ibis, we learn that he received Rotary scholarships to study medicine abroad. A great small world feeling as we enter the Presidential Palace.
The tour is informative, and the architecture spans many styles and influences. The entrance foyer is also home to several herons, who seem at ease with our presence.

Ibis recommends a tour of Ministry of Foreign Affairs before we head to our next Rotary meeting at lunch. It is an expansive building on the ocean, with a huge covered courtyard, and a preserved board-room that was home to the original Bolivarian meetings.

The girls’ post-lunch vocational visits fall through, and I suggest a swim and relaxing afternoon by the pool at my host Victor’s condo. Everyone agrees, and we cancel the walk around colonial town (the location of presidential palace and foreign affairs). It has been a whirlwind of activities since we arrived. Everyone fades quickly whenever we sit down, so an afternoon of rest is welcomed. Mark and Doug jump at an opportunity to see the future site of a eco-community, and I stay to host the girls by the pool. My heart is heavy, as I fear that I am missing an amazing opportunity. The swim is refreshing, as is the reflective dialogue poolside.

Nestor arrives, and the team is headed to a press conference before our last Rotary meeting in Panama. I am left behind, as I have a vocational visit. Victor drops me a Grill 50, a large sports bar owned by a friend of his. I get a tour from the marketing manager, Daisy, who speaks a little English. She leaves me to enjoy some food, I try patacones, and I strike up a conversation with the customer service manager, Fernando, whose English is even better. The owner, Mario, arrives with his wife, Caroline (Karoleen), and we chat about inventory control, staff concerns, and then the carnival warnings start: we can expect an amazing time that will resemble a day-long mosh pit with water, liquor, live music, and a battle between upper and lower streets. Although the restaurant is far bigger than my little pub, it is refreshing to hear from someone who is entrenched in the industry.

Victor arrives, and we head for home. He offers to take me to the brew-pub, and I jump at the chance. Istmo Brew Pub is not a classy place, but they offer 4 beers that aren't lagers, all made on premises in their small tanks. I enjoy a malty (amber) wheat beer, and treat Victor to a stout. They even offer a sausage platter, which I can't pass up.

A hugely successful last night in Panama City! I pack a little, and am nervous and excited for Carnival this weekend.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment