Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 11 Perspective

I don't have a vocational until the afternoon, so I enjoy a morning of blogging and espresso. Sleeping in down here doesn't happen, even when you go to bed late and have nothing to do. I am up at 7:10, feeling refreshed somehow. I wander around downtown Belen, which is some great 'me' time.
I am picked up at lunch, and meet up with the team (sans Doug) for some Mexican lunch. I have the salad, which is very similar to the Cajun Salad from our menu back home.
Alicia, Mark, and Kim head to Pavas for their vocational visit, and I'm heading to the only craft brewery in the area, as soon as my ride arrives. Manuel takes me on a tour of the national headquarters of one of their political parties. We discuss the differences in political structure of our countries, and the barriers to entry (into politics) for young professionals.
We're heading to the brewery, and Mark and Alicia are joining me!!

It's long drive, but well worth it. We meet Christopher and Stefano, and they give us a tour fit for kings. They only have 2 beers in the market right now, but they have 6 for us to try!! I am in a happy place. The guided tour is very informative for my colleagues I think.

It's a great industry to be a part of, and even at this remote brewery you can hear and feel the passion and excitement. We try a scottish ale, red ale, coffee porter, dry stout, and their blonde ale. Great beers, and a great afternoon. Maybe they could make the trek to Canada as guests at one of our beer festivals?
Stefano & Christopher
We crawl home through traffic, and collect Kim. We're off to meet some Rotaracts for drinks, snacks, and some social time. There's no craft beer at the bar we're at, but I enjoy a favourite of mine from back home...buffalo chicken sliders!
It's a relaxed night, and Jorge joins us...a new godfather! His brother gave birth to the first baby in his family. Santiago is his name.
Everyone heads for home, but Juan Carlos insists that we need at least one Sarpe (sar-pay). It means last call, and quite often they have a few. We stop at a bar closer to home, and enjoy a bucket of beers on a swing. Yep, they have swings that hang in front of the bar...pretty cool concept. I am lucky to have Juan Carlos as my host...he is funny, engaging, and very generous. I am two for two with billets.
Only a couple of hours to sleep, and then we have a day at the beach and national park.
CGD

No comments:

Post a Comment