Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mar 1 Perspective

I enjoy another leisurely morning...I'm up at 7:30, and my vocational visit isn't until 10. I play some guitar, sort out my roaming plan, and send a few emails. I wander over to my next vocational visit, which is 3 blocks from the condo. Club Union is a very swanky private social club, and I barely get inside the door before I'm told to sit and wait. I wait for nearly an hour before coercing a German woman in the parking lot to act as translator so I can get inside. We discover I'm not getting in because the lady I am scheduled to meet has been called to a meeting, and hasn't finished. I suggest I go home and they call me when she is free. They agree. It's time for a SWIM!!! The pool at the condo is very quiet, and the water is cool. I feel my core temperature getting back to normal.

After a lunch Rotary Club meeting (back at Club Union), we head off to Panama la Vieja (the old city). I'm not sure how to best describe this...think about how wonderful the distillery district is in Toronto, and match that with the wide open spaces of a public park...and then age it 250 years!! The photos will give you an idea, but only a visit will make you truly appreciate it.


Alicia & Doug head for an impromptu vocational visit, while Mark, Kim & I got a car tour of the city. The contrast between upper and lower class housing is stark, and occurs with very little buffer in many areas. This is only magnified as we speed through poor neighbourhoods in a new BMW. We end up at a patio with an ocean & city skyline view.

Another presentation to two Rotary Clubs in the same room, and they're insisting they take me out to a pub for one drink. Mark agrees to come with me, and we head out at 10. We quickly realize that 1 drink may be an understatement as a bottle of rum arrives to the table. Nestor, our knight in shining armour, arrives to the pub at 1am to help us escape the comraderie. It is a welcome retreat, as 7am will come early.

I don't think I can continue to do a vocational visit every night. Maybe tomorrow's day of playing tourist will spell some rest?

C

No comments:

Post a Comment